During the course of the program we ask that you read the following mandatory texts:
This is That by Anand Mehrotra
Tending the Heart Fire by Shiva Rea
30 days of continuous self-practice (sadhana)
- Yoga Philosophy – What is Yoga, Pathways of Yoga, HATHA Yoga, Eight Limbs of yoga, Yamas & Niyamas and Samkya Philosophy
- Anatomy – bones, muscles, movement patterns and physiology of cardiovascular system
- Subtle Anatomy – The 5 koshas or layers of the body, the five directions of Prana, Kundalini, Sushumna Nadi, Pingala and Ida nadis
- Asana breakdown – Benefits, contraindications, cautions of Tadasana, Uttanasana, Utkatasana, Plankasana, Chatturanga, Cobra, Upward Dog, Downward dog, Warrior One, and Two
- Pranayama – What is Prana, the two currents of polarity prana the upward flowing in breath and the apana downward moving out breath, 4 part yogic breath, breath retentions, ujiya breath, dirga breath and nadi shodhana. You will learn how to teach, when to teach and what the effects are of the different breathing techniques
- Mantra & Mudras – learn the teacher student invocation mantra , Anjali, Gyana, Apana and Prana Mudra
- Applications of Yoga – How to teach a sun salutation with breath , direction and alignment cues
- 3 hours break down Sun Salutations, teach Sun Salutations first with breath only, then add directional cue, finally add alignment cue
- Yoga History – The birth of yoga, yoga to the West and yoga today.
- Yoga Philosophy – The six philosophies of Yoga, The four books of Wisdom (The Vedas), the Bhagavad Gita and the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- Anatomy – exploring movement, range of motion in the joints, exploring alignment and anatomy of the following asanas; Tadasana, Uttanasana, Utkatasana, Plankasana, Chatturanga, Downward Dog, Upward dog, Cobra, Warrior One and Two
- Subtle Anatomy – Deep exploration of the seven chakras, anatomy of the yogic mind; manas, buddhi, ahamkara and citta
- Asana breakdown – Benefits, contraindications, cautions of Triangle Pose, Side Angle pose, Half-moon pose, Warrior three, and Tree pose
- Pranayama – Exploring the five directions of the breath and how we can create alignment with awareness of these movements. Cosmic breath 1 & 2, Bhastrika breath, Kapalabhatti breath, and Prakash pranayama
- Mantra & Mudras – Immortality prayer mantra, Gayatri mantra, Lotus mudra, apana mudra, and prana mudra
- Applications of Yoga – How to teach warm-ups that prepare the body and mind for the peak experience of the class
- Each student teaches a round of Sun Salutations ( give and receive feedback to each other)
- Yoga Lifestyle – Foundations of Ayurveda
- Hindu Mythology – Deep understanding of the Hindu trinity, the various Gods & Goddesses, Karma, Dharma and the four main pillars of Artha, Kama, Dharma and Moskha.
- Asana breakdown – Benefits, contraindications, cautions of Pigeon pose, Pyramid pose, Hanumanasana, Bow Pose, Upward facing Bow, Wide legged forward fold, Standing and reclined big toe pose, seated and reclined twist, seated and reclined bound angle pose and cow faced pose.
- Pranayama – Cosmic breath 3, Bhramari breath, Shithali breath, and Lion’s breath
- Mantra & Mudras – Remover of obstacles mantra (Ganesha), and Guru Mantra, Yoni mudra, Matangi mudra, Shunya mudra and Hakini mudra.
- Applications of Yoga – Teach one breath, warm-up and 4 rounds of sun salutations
- Each student teaches a round of Sun Salutations (give and receive feedback to each other)
- The Art of Sequencing – You will learn how to create safe, intelligent and creative flow sequences by gaining a deeper understanding of the family of poses, which poses flow into each other to maintain a seamless and fluid sequence with intelligent transitions. Introduction to creating a restorative or therapeutic practice.
- Applications of Yoga – Teaching opening of class with breath awareness, warm-up, standing poses and counter poses with shavasana
- Asana breakdown – Benefits, contraindications, cautions of shoulder stand, forearm stand, hand stand, headstand, crow pose, compass pose, Hindi squat, all twisting standing poses
- Pranayama – Review all breaths learned
- Mantra & Mudras – Medicine Buddha mantra, Bija mantras of all 6 chakras
- Each student teaches a round of Sun Salutations
- Taking the seat of the teacher – Learning the art of using your voice, hands-on-touch, do’s and don’ts of a yoga teacher, social media and how to promote and market yourself.
- Ayurveda and Yoga – How you can work with the 3 main constitutions in a yoga class and with the four seasons. Creating classes that are in alignment with one’s environment and nature.